Pajama Jams is an organization providing new pajamas to children in need. To date, almost 7,500 children have received help from Pajama Jams!
- Since 2008, we have raised more than 7,500 new pairs of pajamas which were donated to children throughout Hampton Roads via various programs:
– The Salvation Army Angel Tree Program and Hope Village
– The Samaritan House
– The Life Enrichment Center, Norfolk
– BF Williams Elementary, PB Young Elementary, Jaycox Elementary, and Tidewater Park Elementary School in Norfolk, VA.
– Boys and Girls Club of Southeast Virginia.
The out-pouring of help in our community for this project is unrivalled. Our sponsors truly help make it happen by hosting events throughout the year like the following:
- In 2016, the Lutheran Woman’s Missionary League as well as the women who attended the Tidewater Spring Rally at Hope Lutheran Church collected 65 pairs of pajamas for the children who often go without. Special thanks to Kayla Washington, for representing Pajama Jams.#yourock #kidshelpingkids
- In early 2016, more than 100 Girl Scouts gathered at A Place for Girls, the Girl Scouts of the Colonial Coast regional program center in Chesapeake, dressed in their favorite pajamas for a pajama party with a cause. In addition to fun and games at the party, each Girl Scout brought a pair of pajamas to donate to Pajama Jams, an organization that distributes pajamas to local children in need.
- December 2015, we collected numerous pairs of pajamas at the Norfolk Admirals game at our “Pajama Jams Skate Night.” Several attending wore their pajamas and brought a pair to donate, too. One lucky winner walked away with a pair of pajamas autographed by The Admirals.
- Saint Patrick Catholic School, Norfolk, VA, collected and donated 279 pairs of pajamas. #kidshelpingkids
- Whole Foods Market Virginia Beach got in on the fun with a “Polar Express” event. Numerous attendees donated pajamas.
- More schools pitch in! Plaza Middle School Book Club collect pajamas and Galilee Montessori hosted Pajama Jams Day.
- iNLeT Fitness members filled pajama collection bins located inside their centers.
- The Children’s Museum, Portsmouth, VA, hosted Family Fun Days. Collection bins filled as attendees were asked to Share a Pair of new pajamas.
- The list goes on and on. We are so grateful for everyone’s effort to raise pajamas to help children in need right here in our community. Thank you to each and every person involved, for your community spirit, your generosity and for the countless hours you donated to make this project a success.
Our Humble Start – Erika Tucker’s story
What started as a life lesson for her children has grown into her life’s work. Military wife and mother of three, Virginia Beach resident Erika Tucker always believed in giving back to her community. She knew she wanted to instill that value in her young children. Her lightbulb moment came on Christmas Eve in 2008.
Erika explains, “It is our tradition to open one gift on Christmas Eve. Every year, I took delight in wrapping up matching pajamas for my children. Then one year, it all changed. My then 8 year old son and 6 year old daughter made no bones in expressing their disappointment. They wanted to open the latest video game — not some “dumb” pair of pajamas. In what I considered a teachable moment for my kids, I began to lecture them on how many children would give anything to receive just a pair of pajamas for Christmas.
But, it was not enough for me to state it, I decided to show them with deeds. I wanted them to see that although they were blessed with many material possessions, there was much more to life. And that is how Pajama Jams was founded. For my kids, it became a mission of gratitude and giving back. For the thousands of needy children in our community, it has become a labor of love — one pair at a time.”